Byfield Village Hall

Byfield Village Hall is centrally located in the Village and has been a great asset to the people of Byfield for very many years. It is a charity run by the Byfield Village Hall Management Committee (BVHMC, Registered Charity No. 293639) whose members are trustees of the organisation. We have some 16 organisations that are regular users of the Hall and they provide a wide range of activities for the local population. The Hall is available for hire by individuals and by organisations both within and outside the village.

Hover your mouse over a picture to learn more.

Byfield Village Hall has disabled access. View of the recreation ground from Byfield Village Hall

This website gives an outline of our facilities, the activities that take place, how to book, how everything in the Hall works and conditions of hire.

History

The cost of construction and that of various extensions over the years, has come from many sources but largely from funds raised by the activities of the locals who recognised the importance of such a building to the local community.

Commemorative stone at Byfield Village HallThe present Village Hall was officially opened in 1960 but on the north wall is a commemorative stone bearing the date of 2nd June 1953, the date of the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. The seven year delay indicates certain difficulties but note the name of Mr Alfred Brightwell who was aged 91 when he laid the stone. The village owes him a great debt of gratitude. In 1944 he had made a gift of land to the village in memory of his son who had been killed in action in the First Word War. This land was the first section of what has become the Brightwell Recreation Ground adjoining the Village Hall.

Looking at the pictures of the Hall under construction in 1960 and that of the present day shows how the Hall has been extended on three sides so as to provide more space for additional activities. Requirements have changed over the years requiring extensions and alterations. For instance until the 1960’s the village’s medical services were provided from the general practitioner’s own home. From 1966 the GP was afforded a surgery beneath the stage of the Village Hall but the need for more space and the provision of greater security for prescription drugs led in 1974 to an extension on the lower level. The GP’s surgery operated from there until 1981 when the Byfield Medical Centre opened in Church Street.

We work closely with the Byfield Parish Council and benefit from having the Council's Chairman as a member of the Village Hall Committee.

We are very grateful to the Northamptonshire Community Foundation and to Daventry District Council for financial support for maintenance work required in the Lower Annex during summer 2017.  An area of penetrating damp has been treated and extensive re-decoration will be carried out to improve this part of the Hall.

Byfield Village Hall during construction Byfield Village Hall with roof nearly complete.

Directions

We are easily found, just off the A361, halfway between Banbury and Daventry.

Byfield Village Hall
The Green
Byfield
Daventry
Northants
NN11 6UT